Tuesday, October 1, 2013

FOURTYFOUR



Hello World.

I said I would keep you updated, so here I am.  I’ve been staying inside ever since I put out entry Fourtythree however yesterday I decided to go out and take a walk.  Despite my feelings against it I walked all the way down to the bridge and hung around the pond for a while.  It was a really nice day, the sun was bright there weren’t really any clouds in the sky and the air was nice and chill.  However I recognized the kid who had delivered the letter to the house walking towards me from the other side of the bridge.  I continued to stand where I was and I watched him as he silently came up to stand next to me.  He stood facing the pond, he didn’t say a word he didn’t even look at me really he just stood there staring out across the water.  Strangely enough it didn’t feel awkward.  He didn’t seem nervous, he just stood there calmly.  At first I had felt a little weird but that feeling went away, soon after he finally looked at me and spoke.
“Are you ready?” He asked me.  I looked at him questioningly.
“Ready for what?”
“Everyone is excited to meet you.”
Before I could really respond he grabbed the sleeve of my jacket and led me down the sidewalk past the other side of the bridge where he had come from.  We were heading the same general direction that Andrew had taken me when I first encountered the Flock and I wondered how many of them would be there.  We entered the same small clearing that I remembered from before and this time there were twice the amount of people than before.  It was really different seeing all of them in their masks gathered like this in the waning light of the day rather than the dark of the night.  The kid let go of my sleeve and went to stand with the rest of the masked people who were now circled around me. 
“Brothers and sisters,” I turned to face the one inside the circle with me.  He too was wearing a mask but he removed it to speak. “, we are gathered here to welcome someone of great significance to our family.  The Tall One has delivered to us a new Scarecrow and on this day she becomes one of us.”
The people around us moved to remove their masks and a familiar ringing in my head drowned out all other sound.  The guy inside the circle with me continued to speak and occasionally everyone around us would respond in unison to something he would say.  As I looked around me my attention shifted from the circle of people to the trees behind them and for a moment I thought I caught a glimpse of the Tall Man watching us from not too far away but when I turned to look back he was gone.  I caught the kid who brought me here looking at me with a rather curious expression which confused me slightly.  As soon as it came the ringing was gone and I could hear again.  Unfortunately I missed the entire ‘initiation’ speech and everyone was now staring at me.
“Welcome, Willow.  The will of the Tall One manifests in you, and we are yours.”  The one who was speaking approached me and took my hand in his.  He looked me in the eyes and smiled.  It was a cold, hard smile and it immediately made me uncomfortable.  He let go of my hand and returned to where he had been standing before as everyone else around us rushed forward to say welcome to me.  They seemed so excited and they looked at me with such wonder and in some cases awe.  The young boy tried his best to push his way through everyone to get to the front of the crowd and closer to me to welcome me himself. 
“You saw him didn’t you?” He asked me, it was hard to make out over the talking of everyone else around me.  It didn’t appear that anyone had heard him ask his question and I simply nodded at him.  As people said their welcomes to me the backed off and slowly they all began to leave.  I grabbed the kid by his arm as he also turned to leave.
“Hey, what’s your name?” I asked.
“Kolby.  Is there something you need me to do?”
I was a little thrown off by his answer but I tried not to let it show.
“No, sorry I just wanted to know your name.” With that I stood and turned to leave as well.  The whole thing was so mysterious and confusing but strangely familiar and I couldn’t help but feel a little comfortable with the entire situation. 
I went straight home after that and I sat in my room for a long time thinking about everything.  I’m still scared, and I would be a fool not to be.  I’m not sure of what is going to happen from here on out but I do know that I feel slightly more comfortable with being involved in this ‘Flock’.  Perhaps I should be more wary of what is to come but don’t worry I’m still being very cautious.

I don’t know what’s going to happen next, but I’ll keep you all informed.

~Willow

No comments:

Post a Comment